Training a Parrot To Talk – The Right Way
Most parrot lover's dream of owning a talking and responding bird. They can mimic sounds/words that they hear due to their superb hearing. Some parrots however will never learn to speak, so if you are thinking about purchasing one of these birds for solely that reason then don't. The reason why I say this is because if your parrot does not end up talking this could frustrate you and the bird could be left unwanted. For the majority though most parrots will be able to speak at least a few words without any training.
If you want to know how to train a parrot to talk, you need to know that there are two main training methods. The first method is imitation training and the second is responsive training. Imitation training is when you say a word and the bird repeats it. Responsive training is when you ask a question and the bird gives an answer.
Getting your parrot to speak:
Here are some steps that you need to initially take when wanting to know how to train a parrot to talk:
* You will always have to start the training with imitation training.
* Make sure you don't pick multiple words to start off with.
* Pick a simple word to start off with, with no more than 3 syllables.
* Try starting out the training with a simple "Hello".
* Ensure that you stick to the word you have chosen, don't go changing the word (this will only confuse the bird.
* When training you bird, say the word you are teaching slowly, clearly, and firmly until you bird responds.
* When your parrot responds, reward it (even if the sound it makes does not sound like the word)
* Keep implementing this process over and over again until the noise you parrot makes sounds like the word you are trying to teach it. Eventually the bird will relate performing the word to getting a reward.
* With some birds it can take only a few hours to teach it a word, but with others it can take months so be patient with your parrot and make sure you praise and reward it when it responds to you.
* When you bird has learnt a word you can move onto the next one and just repeat the process above.
* Keep the words simple at first until you have built up the parrots vocabulary then start moving on to more difficult ones.
Getting your parrot to respond:
Here are some steps you can take to get your parrot to respond when wanting to know how to train a parrot to talk:
* First teach your bird to imitate the response you are wanting from your question.
* When you parrot has learnt the response it is time to start asking the question that the response relates to.
* Reward the bird when it gives the proper answer.
* Keep on repeating this process until you bird says the right answer every time.
This is a much harder method of speaking for the parrot to learn so when wanting to know how to train a parrot to talk remember that this will take a much longer time that imitation speaking.